¿What are organic fertilizers or ecological fertilizers?
¿What is a fertilizer?
Aecological fertilizer is a substance (free of harmful chemicals for fauna and flora) consisting of essential nutrients that the plant needs to grow and develop. Before our crops show lack of growth, it is recommendedfertilize the soil with compost to bring you all the necessary nutrients.
Plants need feeding and, for it, the roots absorb the nutrients available in the soil. Many times we find poor soils that can not provide the amount of nutrients and as a result, the performance of our harvest ends up being lower than expected. We must act before it happens, asIt is much easier to maintain a good quality of the soil to recover when it has already been demoted.
¿What type of fertilizers is used in organic farming?
Solid organic fertilizers
the compound, worm castings or vermicompost andbokashi, which it is a Japanese term organic matter fermented.
Liquid fertilizers ecological
Aerobic production, as purín, or anaerobic processing, as biol.
Green manures retake the ancestral practice of burying weeds (forages, legumes, among others).
- Animal droppings(palomina, guano, will, gallinaza) or other manures.
- Ashescoming from wood or bone fruits are also very important for optimal plant nutrition, they contain much potassium and lack of heavy metals and other contaminants.
- Hangover:the sediment of rivers that are not contaminated used.
- Sewage sludge: as it is very difficult to know exactly if they contain a harmful substance (heavy metals) often prohibited use to fertilize crops for human consumption purposes. An alternative is that you can use to pay forests.
Advantages of organic fertilizers
- Increase microbial activity of the soil.
- They require less energy in their preparation.
- Let you take advantage of organic waste.
- Promoting nutrient retention and allow carbon sequestration in the soil, nitrogen-fixing bacteria and phosphorus, beneficial fungi and microscopic algae.
- Improve water absorption capacity of the soil, the soil aeration and balances the pH.
- Reduce pollution of groundwater by leaching of nitrites and nitrates.
- Preserve the fertility of the soil and prevents erosion.
- Food grown with organic fertilizers contain up to 60% more antioxidants than conventional minor residues of heavy metals and toxic pesticide.
- For all these reasons are more respectful of the ecosystem.
Disadvantages of organic fertilizers
- If they not treated properly are, there is a possibility to become a source of pathogens.
- They require labor intensive and plenty of space to develop them.
- If not self-made, usually they have a higher price than those made solely with chemicals.
- The release of nutrients from organic fertilizers can be heavily dependent on ambient temperatures and the presence of microorganisms in soil.